Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Sketchbook Project 2011


Last week I received my Sketchbook Project sketchbook in the mail.  The Sketchbook Project is one of the many projects organized by the Art House Co-op and Gallery.  Check out their website and take a look around.  There's a wealth of information there.  For the Sketchbook Project, each participant is mailed a Moleskine sketchbook roughly 8" X 5" in size.  There are 40 pages of relatively thin paper, so you can make 80 sketches.  You can choose from a list of themes to base your sketches on, and once complete, you mail back your sketchbook by January and it goes on a tour of several cities.  At the time of this writing, over 14,000 people have signed up already. In each city of the tour, people can check out the sketchbooks like library books and go through them.  Once the tour is complete, all the sketchbooks will become part of the permanent collection of the Brooklyn Art Library.

I chose the theme "If you lived here..." and pictured above is the cover page of my sketchbook.  My plan is to sketch scenes from various places in the world that I have been to and love, and some places that are imagined as well.  Should be fun!  The cover is a collage that started with an old map of Paris.  On it I pasted some patterns, an old French postage stamp, and a mock postcard with my name and theme with a stamp of one of my illustrations.  I then laminated the cover and added some teal duct tape (from Target!) on the spine.

Below is a close-up pic of the postcard section before it got laminated.


One of my inspirations for my sketchbook theme is a book I found recently, called Transit Maps of the World which has some incredible maps of subway and train systems from numerous cities around the globe.

I may use some of the maps as background for my sketches.  It's great to look at, and makes me want to travel somewhere far away.  Hopefully, I'll be able to do that through my sketches.  I'll be posting random sketches as I complete them, so be sure to check the blog periodically!

6 comments:

Loni Edwards said...

Great idea! I got mine the other day. Just finished my first sketch. I love your cover. Can't wait to see your sketches :)

Tanja Bauerle said...

Yeah, Goomie! I got mine a couple of weeks ago and haven't started sketching yet. Love your cover. After September things will free up some more on my end and I'll start sketching my heart out too.
See you soon,
T.

Goomie said...

Thanks ladies! Can't wait to see your sketchbooks!

genie espinosa said...

that is awesome!! i'm on sketchbook project too! looks awesome for me seeing what people are doing! great!

Goomie said...

Thanks Genie! Just saw your sketchbook -- love the idea since I'm a Beatles fan too.

Glenys said...

Your illustrations are so pretty and cute!