Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sketchbook Project First Page

First page for the Sketchbook Project.  I chose the theme "If you lived here..."  I'm starting out with some sketches of the first place I've ever lived, Japan.  I'll then move on to other places I've lived and visited.  At least that's the plan, but things might change as I progress ... you never know!

When I lived in Japan, in the summers we would go to the festival/carnival at Hiratsuka, a coastal town about 35 miles west of Tokyo.  My mother would dress my sister and I in yukatas (lightweight cotton summer kimonos) and we would play games, eat cotton candy and watch fireworks.

The above sketch was done pretty quickly in acrylic gouache and colored pencil on thin watercolor paper, then pasted onto some decorative paper, then pasted onto the sketchbook itself.  I don't want to think too hard about the sketches or spend too much time on them, or I'll never finish.  So some of the sketches may not be of the highest quality, but it's an experiment and learning process.  Will be posting more soon.

5 comments:

Loni Edwards said...

Great job, Megumi! I love the border! Great idea putting the paper behind. It looks very nice and I love your story that went with it. I can't wait to see more :)

Shirley said...

Wonderful "sketch" - though I think this is a marvelous illustration in it's own right! Great idea to work in your way and then add to the book..I love it! And lucky you to have lived in Japan! I only wish that someday I may be able to visit. Keep up the wonderful work, Megumi!!

genie espinosa said...

good!!! nice topic and seems you're going to do an awesome work!! :-D

Goomie said...

Thanks for the lovely comments!

Missy said...

Cute stuff, and good effort for even doing the sketchbook project. I myself briefly contemplated taking part, but then I knew I would never get it done, so good for you on what you've done so far.