Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sketchbook Project Page 2 and Illustration Friday

Second page for the Sketchbook Project.  I'm also putting this up for this week's Illustration Friday topic: old fashioned.  The foxes had a traditional, old fashioned Japanese wedding!  Done in colored pencil.

Foxes are a large part of Japanese folklore and traditions.  In the native Shinto religion, the fox god is the god of rice and food.  Some Shinto shrines will have a statue of a fox, and I've even seen a little shrine with a fox in front of a traditional Japanese inn with a small dish of rice.  I love seeing things like that when I visit there.  Hope to go back and visit again some day...

4 comments:

Ann Pilicer said...

Well, I think it is such a beautiful thought! How charming. I did not know about these old traditions and they are so interesting to hear! thanks for sharing this. Beautiful sketch. :D

Goomie said...

Thanks Ann! I like telling the stories behind the sketches, I plan to do that with each post.

Ann Pilicer said...

What a wonderful idea! I am passing on an award because I feel that you have inspired me! you have a wonderful blog! check out my blog to see!

Mery said...

wonderfull blog! i follow you!
the illustrations are so amazing! ^^